[haiku-development] Re: Learning about file systems

  • From: Emil Ahlbäck <e.ahlback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:22:51 +0300

Welcome!
Thanks!

I've read about FAT16/FAT32's design and it seems "simple". Would this be
great place to start? Actually, any pointers as to where I should start
off
would be very helpful. Currently I'm
browsing add-ons/kernel/file_systems/fat/fat.c and I seem to be
understanding a little of it, but the source file isn't exactly documented and there's a lot of details I don't understand even the slightest bit.

So, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

What is it that you need pointers for? In another words, what is it that you want to change or improve in the FAT filesystem add-on?
I seem to have been misleading in my initial post. From what I know there's nothing wrong with the Haiku FAT FS add-on, because I don't even understand the code nor the file system design (yet)! I'm interested in learning though, I just picked FAT because it seems like a simple file system to start out with.

So a thought I had for a beginner project would be something like: Accessing and reading "raw data" from the hard disk, and writing my own parser (if that makes sense). The problem is that I don't know where to start really, and that's why I'm looking for pointers. I'm always bad at asking questions, but I hope I'm making more sense now! Sorry if this message is poorly formatted.

Regards
- Emil