[haiku-development] Learning about file systems

  • From: Emil Ahlbäck <e.ahlback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:45:28 +0300

Hello

My name is Emil and I'm a newcomer to Haiku, although I've been a fan for a
few years. I'm currently learning C++ with prior (yet a poor) experience
with C. While studying I've been dreaming and planning projects in my head,
and recently I've been coming back to file systems for some reason. So I've
been reading "Practical file system design" a bit, and I've absorbed some
information. I'm thinking that BeFS is quite advanced and that another file
system would fit better as "a first file system"...?

I've read about FAT16/FAT32's design and it seems "simple". Would this be a
great place to start? Actually, any pointers as to where I should start off
would be very helpful. Currently I'm
browsing add-ons/kernel/file_systems/fat/fat.c and I seem to be
understanding a little of it, but the source file isn't exactly documented
and there's a lot of details I don't understand even the slightest bit.

So, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
- Emil Ahlbäck