[haiku-development] Laptop HDA audio

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:30:13 -0700

I've reached the point where I really need a Haiku laptop, and
of course it needs to be fully functional.  I've been pretty baffled at
trying to track such a beast down, by looking at them in BestBuy and
places, and trying to match those to ones listed as found-to-work
on HaikuWare.

Then I came across a post by Scott a couple of years back that
mentioned ZaReason, who specialize in Linux boxes.  As they're
just around the corner [well, across town...] I asked if I could bring
a loaded USB stick by to try out.  They're very cooperative folks,
so I was over there this afternoon.  Everything worked beautifully
... *except* for audio -- which is the one thing I *really* need!

Sound certainly came out (from MediaPlayer and my own fluidsynth
stuff) but it was just a stuttering hash from which I couldn't pick out
anything much of what it actually was.

It would be great if somebody has a clue as to what might be wrong.
And what is likely to be the difficulty in fixing it.  How variant is "HDA"?
Their machine obviously works in Linux, so I assume that any required
code could be transported to Haiku.

I did a 'listdev', and the entry for the audio is:

  device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
    vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
    device 1c20: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio
Controller

I wasn't able to test networking of course, so I'm making the assumption
that it works (I see a rtl81xx driver in our set, and the Network pref
recognized
it):

device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
  vendor 10ec: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
  device 8168: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

Be nice if Wifi (which it has) worked too, but that's not so urgent for me.

It seems to me it would be a great asset to have a supplier of known
compatible boxes.  As I said, they are very cooperative, and seem to be
nice folks.  Most of the comments I've found on the web are very favourable
too.  The machine I tried ("Strata") is priced at $750, which is not super-cheap
but reasonable.   I want to buy one (if we can get it fully working)!
Help me out... (:-))

Thanks,
        -- Pete --

------
Appended, the entire listdev:

device Serial bus controller (SMBus) [c|5|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c22: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller

device Mass storage controller (SATA controller, AHCI 1.0) [1|6|1]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c03: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller

device Bridge (ISA bridge) [6|1|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c49: HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller

device Serial bus controller (USB Controller, EHCI) [c|3|20]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c26: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Normal decode) [6|4|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c18: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5

device Network controller [2|80|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 008a: Centrino Wireless-N 1030

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Normal decode) [6|4|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c12: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2

device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
  vendor 10ec: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
  device 8168: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Normal decode) [6|4|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c10: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1

device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c20: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio
Controller

device Serial bus controller (USB Controller, EHCI) [c|3|20]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c2d: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller

device Communication controller [7|80|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 1c3a: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family HECI Controller #1

device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 0116: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
Controller

device Bridge (Host bridge) [6|0|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 0104: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller