[haiku-development] Re: LLVM

  • From: "Patrick Kelly" <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:00:44 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: haiku-development-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:haiku-development-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Flemström
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:25 PM
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: LLVM

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 21:09:06 André Braga wrote:
> IMO for the time being the strength of LLVM is in providing the tools
> for building compilers and runtimes for dynamic languages, and not so
> much as a replacement of GCC for the sake of replacing it.

>What could give Haiku an interesting cutting edge compared to other
operating systems would be to provide a cross-platform architecture-agnostic
binary format using LLVM for its backend.

I don't see that giving Haiku an edge, if it is cross platform that it would
only give that compiler and binary format an edge. Architecture agnostic is
another story though, but the Mach O format does have some downfalls you
should check into. It might be possible to develop a workaround.

>LLVM in its current state provides a complete byte code specification and
that byte code is on such a low level that it easily beats the CLI or the
JVM measuring raw performance, if a good compiler >was used to produce the
byte code. It would be theoretically possible to then invent a binary format
that uses LLVM byte code, that would run almost as fast as native code on
all platforms >without modifications.

>One can dream, right?

>This has already been done for JVM/CLI compatibility via VMKit, by the way,
but creating a binary format that is ELF-ish and that performs well and
interacts with native libraries easily could be >problematic.