[haiku-development] Re: LLVM

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:21:37 -0300

2009/10/14 David Goodwin <dgsoftnz@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I believe the IBM AS/400 platform does something similar to what you
> describe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/400#Instruction_set ;(not cross
> platform but it is architecture-agnostic)
> May have to be careful of patents if doing anything like that though.

It's very likely that there are patents on AS/400 (or System i as a
whole), but it's very unlikely that this is something IBM can stop via
their patent portfolio. Microsoft already compiles .NET to native code
on install time (just install the .NET 2.0 runtime to see messages
about it compiling stuff) and I bet that if either that happened to
infringe on IBM's IP or if Microsoft had to licence any of it, we'd
know by now.

Cheers,
A.