[haiku-development] Re: LLVM

  • From: David Goodwin <dgsoftnz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:40:20 +1300

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:24 AM, David Flemström
<david.flemstrom@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 October 2009 21:09:06 André Braga wrote:
> > IMO for the time being the strength of LLVM is in providing
> > the tools for building compilers and runtimes for dynamic languages,
> > and not so much as a replacement of GCC for the sake of replacing it.
>
> What could give Haiku an interesting cutting edge compared to other
> operating
> systems would be to provide a cross-platform architecture-agnostic binary
> format using LLVM for its backend.
>
> LLVM in its current state provides a complete byte code specification and
> that
> byte code is on such a low level that it easily beats the CLI or the JVM
> measuring raw performance, if a good compiler was used to produce the byte
> code. It would be theoretically possible to then invent a binary format
> that
> uses LLVM byte code, that would run almost as fast as native code on all
> platforms without modifications.
>
> One can dream, right?
>
> This has already been done for JVM/CLI compatibility via VMKit, by the way,
> but creating a binary format that is ELF-ish and that performs well and
> interacts with native libraries easily could be problematic.

I believe the IBM AS/400 platform does something similar to what you
describe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/400#Instruction_set (not cross
platform but it is architecture-agnostic)

May have to be careful of patents if doing anything like that though.

--
-David Goodwin
Email: dgsoftnz@xxxxxxxxx