[haiku-development] Re: LLVM

  • From: "Patrick Kelly" <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:02:40 -0400

From: haiku-development-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:haiku-development-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Goodwin
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:40 PM
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: LLVM

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:24 AM, David Flemström <david.flemstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 21:09:06 André Braga wrote:
> IMO for the time being the strength of LLVM is in providing
> the tools for building compilers and runtimes for dynamic languages,
> and not so much as a replacement of GCC for the sake of replacing it.

What could give Haiku an interesting cutting edge compared to other
operating
systems would be to provide a cross-platform architecture-agnostic binary
format using LLVM for its backend.

LLVM in its current state provides a complete byte code specification and
that
byte code is on such a low level that it easily beats the CLI or the JVM
measuring raw performance, if a good compiler was used to produce the byte
code. It would be theoretically possible to then invent a binary format that
uses LLVM byte code, that would run almost as fast as native code on all
platforms without modifications.

One can dream, right?

This has already been done for JVM/CLI compatibility via VMKit, by the way,
but creating a binary format that is ELF-ish and that performs well and
interacts with native libraries easily could be problematic.

I believe the IBM AS/400 platform does something similar to what you
describe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/400#Instruction_set (not cross
platform but it is architecture-agnostic)

May have to be careful of patents if doing anything like that though.

Considering it?s part of i, I wouldn?t even consider trying. I can ask if
you?d like.

--
-David Goodwin
Email: dgsoftnz@xxxxxxxxx