[haiku-development] Re: LLVM

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:15:39 -0400

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> LLVM just got a patch for Haiku configuration... is there any interest in
> replacing GCC with LLVM after R1?

This has been discussed before, but I will summarize what I believe
the general sentiment is about LLVM from the Haiku developers: it is a
really neat technology, but until clang has full C++ support LLVM
really isn't a reasonable replacement for GCC for use by Haiku. I'm
sure there will be some experimentation with using LLVM in Haiku and
maybe using the GCC front-end and an LLVM back-end until clang is far
enough along (sort of like what Apple is doing.) But of course that
requires a developer to take some interest and put work into that.
Honestly there are probably more pressing issues to be done after R1.

I assume from your email that LLVM can now compile on Haiku out of the
box? Or at least configure will work? ;) That is good to know since
that is less work for any of us when the time comes to play with LLVM
on Haiku.

--
Regards,
Ryan