[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps and Command key

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:50:35 -0700

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What's wrong with making control the default and if you want alt, you
> can switch to that? Because most future Haiku users will be used to
> control as default, learned how to touch type with it and will
> complain about it or told to look up a FAQ  and that's something to be
> minimized.

This change that you propose would institutionalize an inconsistency
of having to use different copy and paste short-keys in Terminal.
Since being consistent is one of Haiku's self-professed traits, we
should practice what we preach and not do things like this to be the
same as other OSes.

I understand what you mean, but please, look at it from a bit of a
wider perspective.

There are many other changes that we could make to the Haiku GUI or
the way Haiku behaves so that users from Windows and/or other OSes
feel more at home when they try it. I can think of a few, like
replacing the window tabs with title bars, having the Disks icon on
the desktop by default and renamed to My Computer, and
maximizing/restoring windows by double clicking the title bar; I am
sure we could come up with (many) more.

The question we need to ask ourselves is this: are we going to make
accommodating users of other platforms a primary driving force for the
design of Haiku? I don't think that has ever been the case, and I hope
it does not become in the future.

Jorge