[haiku-development] Re: Jmicron Hardware support

  • From: Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:32:31 +0100 (CET)

> François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > 1) PCIe memory card reader
>>
>> mmc and others ? Why does it need PCI Express ?
>
> I'm not sure, but I assume it's this one:
> http://www.jmicron.com/JMB38X.html
>
> I guess using PCI Express is a cheap way to add additional
> functionality to be integrated on current motherboards. Just like
> the additional ahci controller thats integrated on my motherboard.
Looks like that and that would require MMC/SD drivers as well. So this
would give use a greater chance of having Haiku on a SD card :)
http://www10.edacafe.com/IP/view.php?ip_id=2861

I have begun to investigate MMC/SD cards on my dell (x300)
But I do have some questions and thought &#61514;
What are the physical different between these?
add-ons/kernel/bus_managers
add-ons/kernel/busses
add-ons/kernel/drivers/bus

On My Dell x300 I have a SD card reader. By looking on different Linux
forums it looks like the Bus manager are a Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (if I
have guessed correct)
Busses would be the SD card reader and SPI?
And the bus the card it self? Perhaps with SDIO?

When investigate this I have come across these links
http://mmc.drzeus.cx/wiki/Welcome
http://elm-chan.org/docs/mmc/mmc_e.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card
http://elm-chan.org/docs/spi_e.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Card
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/3969
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/MMC_Flash_Memory_Card_Support

According to how things are done on Linux they have created a SPI protocol
of some sort and SDIO are using those to talk to the hardware.

As you probably have noticed by now I don&#8217;t really know these things
&#61514;

//Fredrik

>> Don't think I'll have time; plus I don't have any PCIe slot :P
>
> You are so retro ;)
>
> Marcus
>
> Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
> ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT FÜR ALLE NEUEINSTEIGER
> Jetzt bei Arcor: günstig und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket
> für clevere Doppel-Sparer, nur  29,95 &#8364;  inkl. DSL- und
ISDN-Grundgebühr!

--
MVH
Fredrik Modéen