[haiku-development] Re: Jam Memory Usage

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:11:00 +0200

Ryan Leavengood wrote (2007-08-19, 20:53:20 [+0200]):
> On 8/19/07, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking at the build wizard (Ingo?) to see if there is anything
> > that can be fixed in jam or be worked around by me.
>
> The problem is, by its nature, Jam puts all targets and dependencies
> into memory to make sure all dependencies are properly resolved. There
> might be a solution, but it may not be easy.
[...]
> I guess we will see what Ingo has to say.

I believe, the main reason for jam requiring that much memory is probably
that it never deletes strings it allocates. If you have a closer look at
newstring.c in the jam sources, you can probably reimplement the string
functions to actually acquire and free the strings. This will likely
decrease the performance, though.

CU, Ingo