[haiku-development] Re: Jam Memory Usage

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:53:38 +0200

Ryan Leavengood wrote (2007-08-19, 20:53:20 [+0200]):
> On 8/19/07, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking at the build wizard (Ingo?) to see if there is anything
> > that can be fixed in jam or be worked around by me.
>
> The problem is, by its nature, Jam puts all targets and dependencies
> into memory to make sure all dependencies are properly resolved. There
> might be a solution, but it may not be easy.
>
> I just checked and on my Linux box Jam uses over 160 MB of RAM when
> building the Haiku VMware image. Wow, I have to admit that is pretty
> crazy. It seems about 153 MB of that is used just when Jam is parsing
> all the Jamfiles, with small increases as the build proceeds. Then I
> see GCC needing another 5-10 MB when compiling (though I turned on the
> -pipe option.) I would expect 256 MB would be the bare minimum you
> would need to build Haiku, and that may be pushing it. I'm starting to
> appreciate more this new Dell box, which seems to have plenty of RAM
> with 1 GB and a Core 2 Duo which flies through the build.
>
> I guess we will see what Ingo has to say. It seems he, Axel and
> several of the other devs are on vacation this weekend. Or they are
> being really quiet, as I haven't seem commits or emails from them ;)

Ingo is visiting me in Rostock at the Baltic Sea, and he came the 240 Ks
with his bike, so he didn't bring his computer. :-)

Yeah, I have had to build Haiku on a box with only 256 MB RAM, it was even
my main machine for a while. I had problems like you, Niels, until I used
the Virtual Memory preflet to enlarge the swapfile. Then I could even have
FireFox and Beam open while a build was running. I hope this fixes your
problems as well. Of course the build time is not optimal when it has to
swap, but at least it goes through.

Best regards,
-Stephan