[haiku-development] Re: Is the "poke" driver supposed to be private?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:46:33 +0100 CET

> Axel Dörfler:
> > Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I just did some ISA-I/O experiments and found that poke.h semms to
> > > be
> >> seriously
> >> private; trying to include it with <poke.h> fails (Rev. 29155). Is
> >> this supposed to be
> >> this way, or just an oversight?
> >
> > This is supposed to be this way. The poke driver is only to be used
> > with the "poke" application that is obviously not yet included with
> > Haiku - it's also not meant to be part of a distribution; it should
> > only be installed when writing drivers, in case you need it for
> > this,
> > that is.
>
> I see. Improved security in order to make my life miserable. ;-)
> I guess there will be no easy way to directly do hardware accesses
> anymore,
> and that any application which requires this will need to install its
> own driver(s), correct?

Well, we'll probably have to use it to implement the pseudo-standard
linux io funcs or some other. For now it's not a problem but later
those shall be restricted to root only at least.

Anyway, "applications" should never access hardware directly, that's
what drivers are for. The only acceptable reason would be driver
prototyping.

btw, please fix your MUA to wrap lines.

François.