[haiku-development] Re: Is im_kit within the scope of Haiku for GSoC projects?

  • From: "Frank Paul Silye" <frankps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:23:12 +0200

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:07 AM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  Or is the haiku im_kit project a sort of 'pet project' of a dev and
>  >  it'd be a bad idea to do this all over their feet.
>
>  I would go with the latter...you'd have to talk to Michael Davidson
>  and/or Mikael Eiman about that (= slaad and m_eiman on IRC).
>
>  Rene

Hi Dustin,

having been involved in the project, writing a user manual for it, I
would just say that we tried to develop the imkit with as little GPL
code as possible. You can see that the GPL code is even a separate
download. Having said that, imkit is an open source project, but I
hope you respect the intentions of having as much as possible of the
code under more Haiku friendly licenses.

Perhaps libpurple could be made available as an alternative, perhaps
you would be interested in extracting out code for other protocols
that imkit doesn't support today or perhaps continue development of
the protocols in imkit released under GPL today?

--
Regards / Med hilsen,

Frank Paul Silye
http://www.frankps.net