[haiku-development] Re: Introducing myself

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:26:22 -0400

On 8/13/07, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Although most of the code in the project is in C++, it certainly sounds
> as though you will be able to cope with it. I'm not sure about Ruby, but
> I think the focus at the moment is more on the core system - meaning C
> and C++ code.

For the core system C and C++ are pretty much the only option, but
eventually I want to create some pretty nice Ruby bindings to the
system. Ruby is my favorite scripting language and I think it fits
nicely into the BeOS/Haiku philosophy (though maybe the same could be
said for Python.) So stick around Jartur you will get your Ruby
eventually ;)

Actually the core of Ruby was ported to BeOS and probably still works on Haiku.

> Currently applications for Haiku are written using the Be API - it's a
> nice, clean C++ API that's pretty straight forward. Due to limited
> resources the plan is to use an existing HTML rendering engine (there is
> a Firefox port that sort-of works, and interest in a KHTML/Webcore port)
> - so if you're interested in Web 3.0 Haiku may not be the right project
> for you (at least not yet).

I'm actually working on the Haiku port of WebKit right now, so there
is more than just interest ;)

Keep an eye on Haikuware to see my progress:

http://www.haikuware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=39

> However we do have lots of work needed on other user-space applications
> - from simple preference apps to more complicated things like file
> viewers and resource editors.

Yes there is plenty to do in user-space. Even just looking at our
coding guidelines and updating some apps to conform to those would be
a good project. Some of the code for the apps came from the outside or
was created before the coding guidelines were set. Code refactoring
and optimization is also great, just be careful to test well, and unit
tests might be good too.

The coding guidelines are here:

http://haiku-os.org/documents/dev/haiku_coding_guidelines

> A lot of the Haiku devs do their development under Linux and testing
> with VMWare - I think there are instructions on how to set that up on
> the website (Ryan, have you uploaded your how-to yet?)

Yes I have:

http://haiku-os.org/documents/dev/building_haiku_on_ubuntu_linux_step_by_step

> Just ask if you have any other questions, I'm sure someone who knows
> more than me would be happy to help you out!

I think you provided plenty of good information!

BTW Jartur, if you make some code changes, use svn diff to create a
patch and then email it to me and I'll see about adding it to the
repository. After a few good patches we will be willing to add you as
a developer so you can commit the changes yourself.

Regards,
Ryan