[haiku-development] Integrating WLAN stack into Haiku - What to do?

  • From: Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 21:03:39 +0200

After making wifi for Haiku a reality I'm seeking for getting the sources into Haiku's repository. I'm aware of, that this will require additional work on my part, but I'm willing to do what is required. I believe that there are some Haiku developers unpleasent to see in which manner the stack was created. Mainly the fact of making a port will polarize I can imagine. Two arguments directed me to go the port-way first:

   1. A usable wifi is achievable faster.
2. Experience with the port made in the field and during porting can be applied to the design of the haiku-specific one.

I'm suggesting following 4 stages for integrating the stack (every phase entitles a list of my todos):
   1. Integrating the enhanced FreeBSD compatibility layer
- Implement conditional variables layer by make use of Haiku's kernel cond var API
         - Coding style cleanup (mainly regarding copyright notations)
         - Compatibility test with existing drivers
sources: http://dev.osdrawer.net/repositories/browse/haiku-wifi/trunk/wifi/libs/freebsd_network2

   2. Integrating WLAN stack port
         - Enable dynamic driver un-/reloading
- Update to RTM version of FreeBSD 8 (currently Beta 3 is used) as soon as it is published (~ end of November)
         - General cleanup (file names, remove unused sources)

sources: http://dev.osdrawer.net/repositories/browse/haiku-wifi/trunk/wifi/libs/freebsd_wlan

   3. Integrating drivers
         - Update to RTM version of FreeBSD 8 (see above)

sources: http://dev.osdrawer.net/repositories/browse/haiku-wifi/trunk/wifi/drivers

   4. Integrating userland API
         - Complete design (add show current network functionality)
- Complete implementation of API (join selected network, show current network)

sources: http://dev.osdrawer.net/repositories/browse/haiku-wifi/trunk/wifi/libs/bosii http://dev.osdrawer.net/repositories/browse/haiku-wifi/trunk/wifi/headers

That are all todos I'm aware of to get the code into Haiku. For everything I missed I'm glad to hear about.

Best Regards
Colin