[haiku-development] Re: Installer

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:07:31 +1300

On 18 November 2014 22:20, Mattia Tristo <redmoonapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why not make a tar.gz of the install cd and insert it in the installation
> dvd...
>
> At installing time simply extract .tar.gz file in the partition...
>
> Maybe faster...
>
> So you have install dvd and live dvd...
>
> If you fit it to cd you have a live cd and install cd.

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. The live and install
images are one and the same.

The Installer is basically a glorified file copy operation, copying
the live image to your installation target, and a couple variables for
running first boot scripts.

If you've ever run Installer from an installed partition to another
partition, it basically clones your installed system, so all your
settings come along with it. It's actually a very nifty feature :-) I
did that when my system partition filled up.

Cheers,
Jessica