[haiku-development] Re: In My Infinite Free Time

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 22:21:48 +0200

On 2009-04-20 at 21:53:18 [+0200], Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > only 4mb ram (expandable to 36 or something ) are probably not enough
> > ;) )
>
> There were some BeBoxes that shipped with 8 MB.  Considering that much of
> the physical RAM on a virtual memory system is taken up by the page
> tables, I don't think it would be hard at all to get Haiku to run on a
> 4 MB machine, if you didn't use VM.

Patches welcome... :-) Sersiously, it would be l33t to require that little
RAM, but Haiku simply needs a lot more than that right now. And personally
I wouldn't recommend to devote any energy into changing that. It is almost
completely irrelevant today, and by the time anyone finishes that hard
work, it will most certainly be only more irrelevant then...

> Also a company I worked for back in the late '80s had two Sun
> workstations that each had only 4 MB or RAM.  That was back in the days
> when memory was very precious.  Everyone in the whole company could log
> in to just one of those machines, and it would work just fine.

Well, just because it was possible back then doesn't mean it's easy to
change Haiku to be like that. I mean regarding your "I don't think it would
be hard at all to get Haiku to run on a 4 MB machine". If you actually
looked into it, you would most likely find out that it's by far not only
the kernel you would need to improve.

Best regards,
-Stephan