[haiku-development] Re: In My Infinite Free Time

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:34:43 -0700

> only 4mb ram (expandable to 36 or something ) are probably not
> enough ;) )

There were some BeBoxes that shipped with 8 MB.  Considering that much
of the physical RAM on a virtual memory system is taken up by the page
tables, I don't think it would be hard at all to get Haiku to run on a
4 MB machine, if you didn't use VM.

Also a company I worked for back in the late '80s had two Sun
workstations that each had only 4 MB or RAM.  That was back in the
days when memory was very precious.  Everyone in the whole company
could log in to just one of those machines, and it would work just
fine.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford