[haiku-development] Re: Improved Find Panel

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 07:12:02 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
I don't like the look that much, especially that of the icon area. I'm no friend of icon only, anyway, even though they seem to be distinguishable in that size :-)

This is just a concept, so the visuals can of course be improved. Maybe also a right-click context menu to remove icons and set their size or choosing a text-only button bar. Important to me is that I can very quickly choose the filetype to query. For me that's via icons from a small list of favourites.

Other than that, for a "next gen" find panel, I think it's quite a small change, especially the handling of persistent queries seems to be as bad as ever.

Well, I didn't know that "Next Generation" would be displayed so prominently. I thought it was just an alt-tag for the image... :)

The big improvement IMO is the live results while entering the search terms.
What do you mean with persistent queries? Saved queries?
I could imagine two more drop-down menus beside the quick icon bar: "Recent Queries" and "Saved Queries". The latter listing all non-temporary queries in ~/queries/ and an item to open that folder.

For text based search, I think we should get rid of the "contains" pop-
up altogether, and only show it in some kind of expert mode. Maybe have only a simple query string by default that is automatically or'ed for all attributes of that type. Ie. when you search for "humdinger" in mails, it could query all public mail string attributes at once.

I'm not sure that this isn't "dumbing it down" too much. I normally have a specific enough clue what I look for; is it the subject or the sender? the artist or the title. I wouldn't want to enter "Axel" and e.g. get the million mails I've sent to you, when I really want to see the one I got from you. If I look for one of the very few bands starting with "The", I don't need every song title with a "the" in it... :)

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de