[haiku-development] Re: Image icons for images in Tracker

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:35:17 +0100

Gabriel Harrison wrote:
[...]
> After I build Tracker, how can I test it locally since I am building from
> within Haiku?
>
> It seems like, in theory, that I should be able to kill the tracker
> process, swap out the binaries and restart it. Is it that simple? Does
> anybody have any better recommendations? Is it even possible to kill
> tracker and continue operating? Advice here would be helpful.

Since you're most likely changing libtracker, don't forget to replace that one
too. I would recommend not to mess with your host system directly (i.e.
actually replacing the files in /system), but rather copy your Tracker version
in some new directory and libtracker in a "lib" subdirectory therein. You can
even let the build system do the copying for you. If you add the following to
your UserBuildConfig

HaikuInstall tracker : /boot/home/Desktop/tracker
    : Tracker
    : install-tracker
;
HaikuInstall tracker : /boot/home/Desktop/tracker/lib
    : libtracker.so
    : install-tracker
;

you can just run "jam -q tracker" and get a "tracker" directory on your desktop
(it is updated accordingly after changes).

The rest is as you already figured: You can kill the running Tracker (or more
nicely: quit it ("hey Tracker quit")) and start your Tracker version. The
system mostly runs fine without Tracker, though some applications use Tracker
services (e.g. for trashing files) which won't be available. Nothing dramatic,
though.

CU, Ingo