[haiku-development] I'm beginning to really detest git

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:45:53 -0700

Hi folks,

I need help again...  I was getting ready to submit my BSynth
patches, so I did a commit of the relevant files, and then a
fonrmat-patch.  In the result of which I noticed a minor mistake
-- left in a header file that wasn't needed.

So I want to backtrack from the commit, remove that one line,
redo the commit and format-patch.  Right... How...?

I've tried 'git reset' in all sort of forms, but it doesn't really seem
to do anything useful.  I (think I) want 'git status' to either show
me the original set of files as ready to be comitted again, but
I can only seem to get the one file I fixed, and that's all that shows
up in the patch.

All the docs I've found seem to talk about "git reset <commit>",
but nowhere can I find what a "<commit>" is, or how I might
specify the one I want!!  (Essentially I started a new branch for
this work, and I want to get back to the git state before I did
the commit.  I don't even really care if I lost my edits, as I have
a copy.)

Thanks,
        -- Pete --