[haiku-development] Re: Ideas for Haiku wallpapers?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:52:40 -0500

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Alexander von Gluck
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Having some nice wallpapers would allow us to show off the OS and
> potentially could give new users a better first impression of the OS.

Agreed.

> Here is one potential candidate:
>  http://imagebin.org/183500
>  http://darkjon.deviantart.com/art/Green-Swirl-Tile-Wallpaper-150318131
>  I think this is a good candidate because it's simple, looks nice, is
> generic, and tiny as it's tiled.

Can't say I'm a fan of that one. Plus tiled wallpapers seem very
1990s, something we are trying to get away from. People already
complain Haiku looks like an OS from the 90s without having tiled
wallpapers.

> Maybe a website poll once we have some agreed candidates? Adding 2-3
> wallpapers may be a good number.

I'm becoming less and less a fan of the whole voting/design by
committee thing, though for choosing from pre-selected choices it
might not be too bad.

> Keep in mind the candidates have to have author permission or confirmed open
> licensing.

Obviously there is also room for people creating custom wallpapers,
but given how many wallpapers already exist, including a lot with open
licenses, we definitely should see what is out there. Also we should
consider good photographic wallpapers too. In fact we probably have
several good photographers with good cameras in the community already
who could provide nice photos for wallpaper. I could probably provide
some myself from my nature and plant photography. In that case we
could have more than 2 or 3.

But we definitely should have some graphical wallpapers that have a
definite Haiku theme or that include the logo.

Maybe we could even have photos that incorporate Haiku icons or logos,
such as a nature close-up of a leaf with the Haiku bug icon/logo under
it (echoing the alpha release logos.)

--
Regards,
Ryan