[haiku-development] Re: Idea for the next GSoC : Webkit integration

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:50:32 -0500

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The next gsoc is close and i'm thinking about proposing myself for
> integrating our webkit port in the media_kit. As far as i know, it can allow
> us to see the beta version of youtube in HTML5 and since HTML5 will be the
> next standard (in the long period) could be good to make Haiku a bit forward
> with the times.

Implementing HTML5 video and audio with the Media Kit has been on my
mind (and probably Stephan's) for some time. But I don't think it is
appropriate for GSoC. See more below...

> Since i'm not an expert developer, i don't know if it could be appreciated
> as gsoc project, and i have not a precise idea of how WebPositive works. Can
> anyone figure me what are the essential step to do that? Is there any reason
> that make the project unsuitable for gsoc?

I don't think this (or really any project related to WebKit or
WebPositive) is good for GSoC, even for expert developers. I actually
was thinking this before I read your email because I was considering
whether I wanted to be a mentor this year.

WebKit is just a massively huge project and it takes many months to
get familiar with it. Compiling WebKit can take as long as compiling
Haiku, so it can be frustrating at times. Committing patches to WebKit
is also fairly complicated. Lastly the Haiku Media Kit is also a
pretty big and complex system, and most Haiku developers (including
myself) would probably have a lot of trouble working on this project,
let alone mentoring it. Stephan would be an ideal mentor, but he is
very busy these days and does not have the time.

So I would seriously consider another project if you want to apply to GSoC.

--
Regards,
Ryan