[haiku-development] Re: Idea: Paying money for committing patches

  • From: Kit <kervas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:49:02 -0600

I believe this could be a good idea.

This idea is clearly not gonna be a big moneymaker to committers.
But this would be a small incentive, a way to try to keep some of the fun,
for a process that can sometimes get tedious to our precious developers.

Adrien is right that some patches are bigger and more complicated than
others.
However, Matt's idea does not have the goal of creating a payment structure.

His proposal was just a short and simple way of stirring some of our
developers back to action, where they could be tired or just plain
unmotivated at the moment.

We are not turning them into mercenaries. At least not yet ;)

As to how messy the process of sending money could get, I believe that this
is not such a serious concern.
A PayPal account is all it takes. The biggest issue with this, is that
PayPal is not available to all countries.
However, again, the proposal is trying to keep it simple. I don't think this
drawback is reason enough to stop us from carrying this out.

Please remember that inside our already small community, there are even
fewer people with the skills, time and motivation to carry out development.
Most of us still try to contribute in our own ways, but when all is said is
done, they are the essential part of this project.

For the rest of us, developers are our personal rockstars, so to speak, so I
don't have any problem in catering to them a bit more.

Ideally, all developers would be paid handsomely for working on Haiku, but
we are not there. At least not yet.

Adrien has a valid point where patches are sometimes rejected without too
much feedback.
Perhaps this situation could be improved by identifying patterns of common
problems for committers and making out some documentation where they can be
referred to, and improving the current guidelines.

So, in short, while this proposal is not a solution, it may be a step in the
right direction.
+1

Cheers,
- Kit