[haiku-development] Re: INPUT / VOTE : --include-gpl-addons

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:19:04 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Reading through the FAQ, I'm pretty sure many projects are not
> > aware of
> > the implications of having chosen the GPL, at least not to the
> > extent
> > the FSF believes it would have. To me, it is only important what
> > the
> > license text says, not what someone (even the author) wants to read
> > into it. And since this is a license it's what actually counts.
> Well, then we don't agree. IMHO, unless we've got special permissions
> from
> the copyright holders, the morally correct thing to do is

Ahem, I'm not arguing about the moral terms - we're on the same page
there. I was just arguing about the license itself, and that it does
not really go as far as the accompanying FAQ.

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Back to the media codecs: They are loaded by libmedia and thus
> > indirectly
> > by the program (at least there's no separate process).
> Again this may just be stepping around the details of the GPL and not
> the spirit, but what about having some sort of separate process for
> media add-ons (or at least GPL ones?) I guess performance might
> suffer, but personally I'd like these areas improved in performance
> because of the multi-process browser design I want to implement :)

At least the FAQ explicitly states that communication over shared
memory and the like is a good sign for work that is not separate.

In Ubuntu, there is also a ffmpeg codec for GStreamer - so much for the
spirit, although it's not installed by default, it will be installed
automatically. That's something we can obviously do without problems
later on...

Bye,
   Axel.