[haiku-development] Re: I suggest a vote on 3 items

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 12:34:30 +0200

Am 03.09.2015 um 12:26 schrieb Stephan Aßmus:

Am 03.09.2015 um 12:17 schrieb Fredrik Holmqvist:

tors 3 sep. 2015 kl 11:56 skrev Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

The current approach with extra writable folders is easy to grasp,
and
totally clean, and transparent. You just have to get used to it,
that's
all. And if it didn't even drive you off, it can't be so bad
anyway ;-)

I have a pet-peeve about the 'non-packaged' folders for where users can
do edits. I'd prefer if it was the other way around with a 'packaged'
folder instead.

If memory serves, that option had been considered at the time. I guess
more arguments had been found for the way it is now, and personally I
agree with that. Having to use non-packaged should be a fall-back or
work-around. The other way around it would feel as if PM was tacked on,
while in reality almost everything, especially all the system files, is
inside packages now.

... sorry for replying to myself. Just wanted to add, and this has been mentioned before, that a lot of people including myself thought that both the packages and non-packaged folders would contribute to a /single/ directory layout. In another words, the contents of non-packaged would be merged with files from the packages into the virtual folders provided by package file system. But this would have caused quite a lot more implementation work and since non-packaged was supposed to be more of a temporary solution, it was not considered worth it. I regret that it wasn't done, but I understand the reasons. However, that difference would have been more intuitive /and/ would have avoided a lot of compatibility issues some of which are still present.

Best regards,
-Stephan