[haiku-development] I suggest a vote on 3 items

  • From: jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:42:50 +0000

Hi all,

I appologize in advance if anything I say is upsetting.

As Haiku is a community project, I suggest a vote on 3 items:

item #1. I suggest User installed applications should not be installed
in system folder and should be installed in a subdirectory of /home-

item #2. I suggest implimenting The BeOS "Hold the shift key" instead of
the read-only file system.

item #3. I suggest a vote on a file system organization standard.

I'm sure there are more reasons to make these moves, here's mine..

Reasons for item #1

If there is a probelm with a build and you need to reinstall, ALL your
apps need to be reinstalled. This wouldnt be so if they were installed
outside the system folder.

Apps are user addons and should be handled as such by the system.
Especially if the plan is to move to multiuser..

Reasons for item #2

This read-only thing is a real turn off. Taking away control from the
community in a community based project.

For example, I dont need BeShare docs in every language, but I have to
keep them on my hard drive. Why? Because the Gods dictate it? In BeOS,
as many of you well know, potentially dangerous moves were handled with
a popup window that asked me to "hold the shift key" to delete, move
etc.. files from system folders. -A much more elegant solution IMO and
less alienating to the community. Even in Linux, if I have the root
password I can do what I want!

Reasons for item #3

Was there ever a vote on the post PM file system organization? If so, I
missed it. The FS seems much more messy now- /home, /home/config is a
mess.. "Where exactly was my app and its dependancies installed?" "It
was supposed to show up in the menu, but it's not there, and where
exactly IS the menu on the system?" "Why do I have 2 places for
applications in the menu and I cant control one of them" etc..

If these items were already voted on, then I suggest a post
implimentation reevauation and a second vote.

Again friends, not trying to start a flame war, actually trying to keep
this small community together. It's already breaking up into factions.
Haikuware is a glaring example of that..

-Jim