[haiku-development] Re: How to increase files limit?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:25:40 +0200

On 2010-04-24 at 14:43:59 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> I've been playing with Subversion 1.7.0 (r936039, r937623) and for non-
> trivial stuff keep getting errors like this:
>
> svn: Can't open '/tmp/svn-tempfile.2.tmp': Too many open files
> svn: unable to open database file
>
> This is reproducible by running:
>
> svn co svn://anonsvn.mono-project.com/source/trunk/mcs
>
> As well as by subsequent `svn cleanup` and `svn up`, or by `svn
> upgrade` on a previous repository. With 1.6.x this didn't occur, so I
> suspect this is related to their upgrade of the repository format and/
> or their use of SQLite (here 3.6.23.1).
>
> On Linux it would be possible to do something like `echo 1024 > /proc/
> sys/kernel/file-max` or `ulimit -n 1024`. On Haiku the latter results
> in:
> sh: ulimit: cannot modify limit: Operation not allowed
> How can we achieve the equivalent on Haiku? Is there something like
> NR_FILE defined in the kernel?

Haiku supports setrlimit() and RLIMIT_NOFILE, but not all RLIMIT_*
constants. bash's config.h doesn't define HAVE_RESOURCE, which is why
setrlimit() isn't used at all. Defining it may or may not work.

Other than that I find it very suspect that svn needs more than the default
256 FDs. Smells very much like a bug in svn (or sqlite).

CU, Ingo