[haiku-development] Re: How safe is the BFS filesystem?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:32:33 +0200

Hi,

Am 22.10.2011 12:41, schrieb Pascal Du Maurrier:
My question is two-pronged:
1) how safe, in your experience, is the BFS for storing large amounts of files?
Any critical issues pertaining to potential data loss?

I have seen occasional data corruption on BFS volumes using them natively in Haiku. I have not seen it in recent times, but I don't remember any bugs being fixed specifically in the BFS code since I last saw it. The kernel has received some bug fixes since then that may or may not have anything to do with these corruptions. As Ingo already writes, there are open Trac tickets for data corruption, so I would not trust BFS/Haiku with the only copy of some precious data.

That being said, I am using BFS/Haiku for storing large ammounts of non-precious media data, and I am using the meta data and query facilities which are not available on other platforms in this convenient way.

What I also never saw during my entire usage of Haiku is a BFS volume becoming unmountable. The corruption has always been contained to only a subset of files, while the rest were still accessible. Of course it is thinkable that I got lucky in this regard.

2) same question as above, but about the FUSE implementation of BFS.

Request: if it has not been done already, could someone perform some extensive
testing of BFS and its FUSE implementation?

I am using it often to read/write files from Ubuntu onto my BFS disks. I have never had a problem with it, except it's quite slow. The only annoying thing is sometimes wrongly set permissions on some files after transfer. I never bothered to investigate this.

All in all, if you need to store precious data, perhaps ZFS is also an option for you. It doesn't have anything to do with Haiku, but it should offer the same meta-data features as BFS (don't know of a convenient way to make use of them in other platforms), plus it detects and sometimes repairs silent data corruption, which BFS has no awareness of. That should make it better suited to storing precious data.

Best regards,
-Stephan