[haiku-development] Re: How safe is the BFS filesystem?

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 15:15:31 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: Pascal Du Maurrier <pascaldumaurrier@xxxxxxxx>
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:41:35 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [haiku-development] How safe is the BFS filesystem?

Hi all,

I am considering using the BFS filesystem for a large data storage project
(many GBs, thousands of pdf and document files), hoping to exploit the database
capabilities of BFS.
I have already read the known issues report about BFS, found at
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/BFSIssues
and it seems that there are still quite a few points that need to be solved
(honestly, I don't understand all of them, due to my limited knowledge). Some
of them seem to pertain to performance, which is not a critical consideration
for me (within reasonable limits, of course). What I am most worried about are
other potential issues that may lead to data loss.

Secondly, I am also interested in accessing the BFS from other systems, through
FUSE.
Again, stippi warned us that the FUSE implementation of BFS should not be
trusted blindly, as it may contain potential data loss.
(http://dev.haiku-os.org/changeset/31409)

My question is two-pronged:
1) how safe, in your experience, is the BFS for storing large amounts of files?
Any critical issues pertaining to potential data loss?
2) same question as above, but about the FUSE implementation of BFS.

Request: if it has not been done already, could someone perform some extensive
testing of BFS and its FUSE implementation?

Thanks

Pascal

I will answer as honestly as I can here. I had a 150gb data drive, I recently
transfered all of that data to a 2tb drive. I also pulled in 500gb of data from
2 separate ntfs partitions. The 150gb drive had been used for a year without
any trouble what so ever. This however is running natively from Haiku.I can't
speak for fuse but for the most part Haikus native BFS seems pretty robust.
Theres likely a bug in their somewhere, but in my 3 years of running Haiku
nightly builds I haven't had data loss or corruption problems.I will say
transferring large numbers of files, more then the size of the file, can cause
tracker to slow down a bunch. Outside of that I have no complaints.

I hope this feedback is helpful just realize your results may vary.

Sean