[haiku-development] Re: Help needed in ddm_userland_interface code sample

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 08:14:48 +1300

On 5/02/2015 1:54 AM, "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 04.02.2015 um 13:52 schrieb Axel Dörfler:
>
>> It's a similar situation as outlined above: GPT partitions can include
>> MBR partitions to improve compatibility with old operating systems --
>> the GPT header is placed in the 2nd block.
>> Therefore, GPT has a higher priority than MBR. If you now reinitialize
>> the disk as MBR without removing the GPT header block, it will still be
>> recognized as GPT.
>

> BTW there is even a related bug: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/8823

Perhaps we need to introduce an operation for partition and disk systems to
erase themselves?

And then when initialising a disk or partition, the existing recognised
disks/partitions could erase their metadata and unregister themselves.

I've already added some cleanup to creating a BFS partition in the past
since the first block is used with NTFS, so Haiku refused to treat it as
BFS until that block was erased/overwritten.

The current design is simply not robust enough as is, and a constant source
of headaches.