[haiku-development] Re: Handling Application Preferences and About in a common way

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:58:20 +0100

On 11/22/2012 07:12 PM, pulkomandy wrote:
  * One is adding a menu in the menu bar of each window. This menu would
have the same name as the application and allow to reach the "About" and
"Preferences" entries for this application. As having a menu like this
could waste space in the menu bar, it was suggested to use an icon menu
item instead of the application name (see how Vision does it for an
example).

While from a practical POV an icon would be nice, I don't really like it visually: it's just too colorful for me to have those icons everywhere, and some also won't look acceptable in that size. I'm not sure if a grayed out version of the icon would be a good idea, but we could also use a standard icon for this that would look the same for all apps (a gear wheel comes to mind).

  * The other solution is adding these items in the menu that pops up
when you click an application in Deskbar window list. This way, they
don't take any extra space and make that menu a bit more useful. This
involves some more work however :
[...]

I would not do it this way. I would rather like apps to control part of the menu completely. That could be done via the scripting API, though, although a replicant-like approach would be much more powerful.

In any case, I would not see this as a viable solution to the problem, as it's too hidden and away from the app. That menu makes the most sense to have functionality where you don't need to reach out for the app in the first place (like quitting it, or skip to the next song).

This could be a nice alternative to the tray for running applications.

Bye,
   Axel.