[haiku-development] Re: Haiku's configure, -j<n>, and emulated attributes

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:10:32 -0800

I timed a bunch of Linux kernel builds on my Core 2 Quad Xeon box, and
found that I got the fastest builds with -j 8.

One would reasonably expect that you'd get the best time with the same
number of jobs as cores, but my testing showed that was clearly not
the case.

I didn't look into it, but I expect that the reason is that parts of
the build are CPU bound, while other parts of the build are I/O bound.
 A job will just block if it has to wait for the disk, and so will
cease doing any useful work.  If you then have a CPU bound job ready
to run, useful work proceeds.

I eagerly await the day when I have the cash to buy my second Core 2
Quad.  My Supermicro X7DWA-N motherboard is socketed for two Xeons,
but works fine with just one installed.  So when I built the box, I
spent as much money as I could on providing a future upgrade path.

FB-DIMM memory though... that's gonna bankrupt me.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com