[haiku-development] Re: [Haiku-commits] r29724 - haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:46:03 +0100

On 2009-03-26 at 16:35:01 [+0100], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > As for what the indices are for, it's easy to pick up the first pretty
> > > name for the attribute in the mime db to help identify them. But
> > > something suggesting which attributes to index would be nice.
> >
> > Stephan had the idea once to automatically add all indices that are
> > defined as FileType attributes.
> > That would be pretty unobtrusive, and might even work very for anyone
> > without introducing just another application.
>
> It might also add some we dont want that would slow things down... Maybe
> have a flag on them along with visible, editable... indexable

Why would it slow things down, do you know it would? I'd hope the
algorithms scale better than that. The point is that the indexing is
something that users don't really have to be exposed to, IMHO. File
attributes - nice! Quick searches - nice! Indices - huh? It's an
implementation detail, not a feature. :-) IIRC, my argument back then was
that if you add something as a file attribute in File Types (versus some
random file attribute on a specific file (!)) chances are you want to
search for it.

Best regards,
-Stephan