[haiku-development] Re: [Haiku-commits] r29724 - haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:58:36 -0300

Axel Dörfler wrote:
I guess the link is unrelated. No idea why François posted it. :) But I think what he is referring to is attributes that would have lots of duplicates (like BEOS:TYPE).

But that is not a problem as long as it's not an attribute that's on all files (like BEOS:TYPE). This is really an extreme case, and is not really true for others.

Yep. I am aware of that. The problem is that users may not know that and think that adding an extra attribute to all files (and one that would have tons of duplicates) would be cool. :)

Like I said... why are there attributes on filetypes in general, and a user may not want to search for it?

To display it in Tracker? I have a string attribute for images called "Dimensions" which is basically the picture resolution (like "640x480"). I don't index it but I do display it in Tracker on my pictures folder. Other in the same category could include "Audio:bitrate", "MAIL:cc" and so on.

While I'm guilty to have queried both of them, they don't really slow down things a lot.

Yes, but I am always for not doing things that are not necessary. :) Assuming that all attributes created for a filetype should be indexed seems to me not to be a clean solution (it would be the easiest, that's for sure). That said, I am all in favor of a more user-friendly way to handle indexes.

But before we're taking sides, maybe we should get some data, and actually create indices for all attributes in FileTypes, and then have some benchmarks to see if its acceptable.

I am actually not taking any sides. I am just adding more data from my own experience to the discussion. At least based on my usage pattern, I would probably end up manually removing indexes I do not need or want but it is not like this would be something I can not bear.

Note that file deletion is probably where you'll notice it the most, since that's more or less the only action you do on many files and assume it should be very fast :-)

Well copying files too. Even worse, moving files between 2 different partitions. But yes, I understand your point. Again, the reason I am not in favor of this change (in principle) is just because I think that assuming the user wants all attributes created to be indexed is wrong.

-Bruno