[haiku-development] Re: [Haiku-commits] r29724 - haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:32:57 +0100 CET

Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stephan Assmus wrote:
> >> http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/bebook/BMimeType.html#BMimeType_GetAttrInfo
> I guess the link is unrelated. No idea why François posted it. :) But
> think what he is referring to is attributes that would have lots of
> duplicates (like BEOS:TYPE).

But that is not a problem as long as it's not an attribute that's on
all files (like BEOS:TYPE). This is really an extreme case, and is not
really true for others.

> > Like I said... why are there attributes on filetypes in general,
> > and a user
> > may not want to search for it?
> To display it in Tracker? I have a string attribute for images called
> "Dimensions" which is basically the picture resolution (like
> "640x480").
> I don't index it but I do display it in Tracker on my pictures
> folder.
> Other in the same category could include "Audio:bitrate", "MAIL:cc"
> and
> so on.

While I'm guilty to have queried both of them, they don't really slow
down things a lot.
But before we're taking sides, maybe we should get some data, and
actually create indices for all attributes in FileTypes, and then have
some benchmarks to see if its acceptable.

Note that file deletion is probably where you'll notice it the most,
since that's more or less the only action you do on many files and
assume it should be very fast :-)

Bye,
   Axel.