[haiku-development] Re: [Haiku-commits] r21394 - in haiku/trunk: headers/os/interface src/kits/interface

  • From: Chris Peel <chris.gsi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:31:49 +0100

On 13 Jun 2007, at 17:05, Jonas Sundström wrote:

Looking at the results I think we're fooling ourselves,
optimizing for the most unlikely case, so to speak:
the -combination- of a shortcut -and- a submenu indicator.

http://www.kirilla.com/tmp/new_menuitem_layout/

I don't think it looks good. We're forcing two separate columns in -
lots- of menus, where the simple items using either a shortcut -or- a
submenu indicator would look much better aligned vertically, roughly
the way they are in BeOS:
http://www.kirilla.com/tmp/new_menuitem_layout/r5.png
http://www.kirilla.com/tmp/new_menuitem_layout/fake_similar_to_r5.png
(Not exactly pixel perfect. I used drag&drop in ShowImage.)

I suggest that this layout behavior is kept:
http://www.kirilla.com/tmp/new_menuitem_layout/keep/

And that this behavior is changed to single column:
http://www.kirilla.com/tmp/new_menuitem_layout/fix/

In short, no space* on the right hand side unless there's a
Command shortcut -combined- with a submenu indicator,
in which case all submenu indicators are pushed to the
right side border. Like this:
http://www.kirilla.com/tmp/new_menuitem_layout/keep/screen06.png
else, they are aligned, like this:
http://www.kirilla.com/tmp/new_menuitem_layout/fake_similar_to_r5.png

* The alignment is what I'm after, not necessarily the removal of
space.

/Jonas.

I've followed this thread closely as I'm always interested in GUI- related topics (more from the end-user experience point of view rather than the coding one however) and, after looking at the various screenshots, I find myself liking the original R5 method more and more. Also, I really think that having a short-cut _and_ submenu indicator in the same menu item is mutually exclusive.

I know that, unlike some other operating systems, in BeOS users can select a submenu parent as if it is an item in its own right (something that does take a bit of getting used to when you come from a Windows background and you click parent items hoping the submenu will appear faster). Nevertheless, having a keyboard shortcut for this seems unusual and would suggest the application's menu _content_ needs re-working, rather than making changes to the O/S itself.

I took a few moments to look at OS X as BeOS seems to borrow quite a bit from it. I also looked at the Amiga Workbench GUI as well as it borrowed from System 3 (and vice versa) and I found that both use the R5 format exclusively; I couldn't find a single menu item that had both a keyboard shortcut and a submenu indicator so I'm wondering if this is all a bit of a red herring?

Chris