[haiku-development] Re: Haiku page_writer maybe not working

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:00:12 +0200

Luposian wrote:
THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING... TO... JUST... MEEEEEEE!!!!

Please don't yell this way, we ear you.
And maybe there are other people with the same issue, but they may not have tried Haiku yet.

Ok... you're using *REAL* hardware? NOT running Haiku inside of an emulator?

If this is the case, then I want to know what hardware you're using. Every piece. I will consider buying it on eBay immediately. Not directly from you, obviously. Then what would YOU have? :-D

If you insist, here are the two machines I just tested:

Computer 1:

Motherboard:    Gigabyte GA-6BXD
CPU:            2x Intel Pentium III 650 MHz
RAM:            2x 256 MB DIMM SDRAM 100 MHz
VGA:            Matrox Millennium G200 8 MB SGRAM AGP 2x
HD:             Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 GB model ST380021, primary
                master on removable rack:
                 partition 1: Windows 98 SE (FAT32)
                 partition 2: BeOS R5 (BFS)
                 partition 3: ZETA 1.21 (BFS)
                 partition 4: Haiku (BFS)
Storage:        LG DVD-ROM/CD-RW GCC-4521B, secondary master
                Iomega ZIP 100 MB ATAPI, secondary slave
                Samsung 1.44 MB 3,5" floppy drive
Network:        Generic Realtek 8139C PCI card, 100 Mbit
Audio:          Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 OEM
Other cards:    Hamlet NEC PCI to USB 2.0 card, 5 ports
Monitor:        Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22" @ 1680x1050x32 60 Hz
Input:          Logitech Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse PS/2

Computer 2:

Motherboard:    Asus A7V266
CPU:            AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.66 GHz
RAM:            2x Kingmax 512 MB DIMM DDR 266 MHz
VGA:            Sapphire Radeon 9600 Ultimate 128 MB AGP 4x
HD:             the same as above
Monitor:        Compaq CRT 15" 1024x768x32 @ 75 Hz
Input:          PS/2 keyboard and mouse
(and nothing else, I assembled this from spare parts I'm going to sell)

I also tried with another machine but Haiku no longer boots in it, I'll open a bug.

Hmm... I am using a Via chipset-based motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. BeOS doesn't like my IDE controller and takes a whopping 5 minutes 42 seconds to copy a 500Mb folder. With an add-on IDE driver from BeBits, it copies that same file in 35 second. So, we know BeOS, natively, doesn't like/recognize my IDE controller. It's an UDMA133 controller, of that I am certain. Could Haiku be having a similar issue, expressed in a different way?

As you can see I'm not experiencing your problem on a similar setup. Can you check the exact maker and model of your motherboard? This could greatly help.

I've noticed my copy of Windows XP is getting some glitches and whatnot. The C:/ directory has a bunch of "FOUND00x" files, after doing a check disk scan. Could my drive be going bad? It's a Maxtor 30Gb 7200RPM UDMA133 drive. I've had it several years now. Yet Windows XP and BeOS R5 still work fine in it... file copying and all!

I recommend you to run a full scandisk with bad sector scan. And if it finds something, throw the disk away.

Dragging my Haiku drive (Maxtor 30Gb) to my Intel Core2Quad Q6600 rig might not prove anything either, if the drive is going south. It *would* prove something if it was a controller-based issue, however.

So, you have a second computer and you didn't even try it before coming here and complaining?

Does anyone have a concrete list of hardware that Haiku supports 100%? I need to know brands, model numbers, revisions, size, speed, type, etc. The whole kit 'n' kaboodle. Nothing left to chance.

It would be hard to get all those info from a typical user. It takes too much time for my tastes, too. Even you didn't.

Trust me, I do *NOT* like complaining like this. It is NOT my "supreme goal in life" to be a hated PITA to everyone who has worked so hard to bring Haiku so far. I would FAR rather be cheering than complaining.

If, instead of yelling and accusing people to not doing their work properly, you submitted a bug or some constructive discussion, you may have avoided getting so impopular.

Regards,

Gabriele