[haiku-development] Re: Haiku on a USB stick.

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:56:57 +0100

Fredrik Modéen wrote:
Today you would probably need .NET Framework for most things.

I have 2 out of 4 Windows machines without .NET, so I can't really say it is "required" :-) Of the ones with it, one is Vista and it comes pre-installed, and the on the second one (XP) .NET is installed just because of Visual Studio 2008 requiring it even if I wanted to use it just for C++ (and it does NOT use it, it's just in case you want to give C# a try).

Took me 2 -
3 days to do this in C# and then I didn't work with it full time so that
was the reason to use C#.

I'm used to C++, so it would take me less to write it in C++ than in C# since I have to learn it :-) Actually it's easier for me to write the portion that writes the image to the flash than the portion that downloads it.

When it comes to C++ I'm more familiar with BeOS API than Windows but such
tool would be cool to have also but then we would need to have that tool
so it can be compiled on BSD/Linux/Windows etc.

Windows API is in C, it's not that hard to learn; it's even object oriented. The worst part is that its design is from the early '80s and it may be a bit rough compared to '90s designs.

This tool are more of a starter for alpha 1 and I would relay like to use
my time for the Joystick pref and a Bt878 driver that I&#8217;m working on
(slowly). Thanks to USB_Vision I now know how the media_addon works :)

Of course that's a better way to spend your time. I may look at writing it in C++ but I have to put it in my TODO list which is some millions lines long :-)

Regards,

Gabriele