[haiku-development] Haiku on VirtualBox

  • From: "Pedro Pinto" <pemdpinto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:23:45 +0100

Hello all,

I'm interested on adding VirtualBox support to Haiku (without virtualization
extensions). There is a ticket (56) on VirtuaBox track saying:

"There are two or three major problems with their OS: 1) Very picky timing
loop during boot (calculate_cpu_conversion_factor() in
haiku/src/system/boot/platform/bios_ia32/cpu.cpp) 2) ss selector checks all
over the place. As the ss rpl is one in VBox, it will take the wrong code
path. 3) Peculiar lss instructions (perhaps never executed) with possible
selectors that are not wide open. Correcting this is not trivial and with
possible bad side effects, therefor I won't fix it. This OS doesn't warrant
the necessary engineering effort required to get it running.
So there are two possible workaround: - use VMX or AMD-V hardware
virtualization (see manual for turning it on) - Haiku should rewrite certain
parts to be a bit more virtualization friendly"
Has anyone worked on this before, how difficult can it be?  Any advices of
how to start?

Thanks,

Pedro E. Pinto