[haiku-development] Re: Haiku on G33BU motherboard...

  • From: "Curtis Wanner" <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:38:49 -0400

Ryan wrote:
> That is sort of why I wrote my Building Haiku on Ubuntu Linux, Step by
> Step article: the other Linux building article was sort of confusing
> since important info was actually in the comments. Please let me know
> if my article becomes out of date or no longer works and I will fix
> it. It also might be good to make it more generalized with the only
> variation being how to set up all the prerequisites on different Linux
> distros (apt-get versus yum versus rpm etc.) But being able to just
> focus on Ubuntu definitely made it easier I think, both to write and
> use.
>
> http://www.haiku-
> os.org/documents/dev/building_haiku_on_ubuntu_linux_step_by_step

Well, we have had some of this discussion on the haiku-web mailing list.
The "Getting and Building the Haiku Source Code" has sections that are R5
specific, and I was thinking about how to make it more platform independent.
I was wondering if this should be generic and point elsewhere on specific
points (i.e. "cross-compiler", "installing to a directory/partition")  Seems
like svn and most of the jam instructions would be the same.  The other
option is to maintain copies for each platform (R5, Linux, Haiku) which
would involve folding in the other documents.  We are also in the need of a
"Setting up for Haiku Development" document which should describe the
different platform options and recommend how to set up for them.  This would
include recommendations on partitions, directory structure
(/develop/haiku/haiku/??), tools, information sources, etc.

Curtis