[haiku-development] Haiku future IMH point of view

  • From: "Daniel Oliveira Costa Lemos" <xspager@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 21:15:16 -0300

Hello everybody!

Please, someone correct me if i commit any mistake, but the gramatical ones ;)

Thinking about what would be the differential of Haiku, if you take of
the BeOS binary compatibility. I think the hype about BeOS, at last in
my opinion, of whom never use BeOS, was, the support for SMP and easy
use o threads, be programed in a Object Oriented language (C++), and
it's clean design and legacy free.

IMHO I think Haiku should do what BeOS did in the past, supporting the
newer hardware platform, and the last technology in hardware for
desktop. So, I think would be an advantage to Haiku to support
AMD64/EM64 in the full 64bits mode, and possible a machine with a Cell
chip (probably PS3) too. Maybe and possible not for now, but some
point in the future, we would be able to extract maximum performance
from this architectures using Haiku due it's design that comes from
BeOS. If you could, imagine BeOS running on a Cell CPU on Sony's PS3.
All this SEPs ... :D

Sorry if i don't make me understand or if I'm wrong, but my point is
about the future of Haiku, that it will do what Linux can't do, or be.
Be a high quality and integrated, open source graphical desktop
operating system.