[haiku-development] Re: Haiku development: getting involved

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 14:06:12 +0200

Hi Vladimir,

welcome!

On 08.05.2013 21:36, Vladimir Kovalev wrote:
I've already familiarized with haiku source code and build system (under
Fedora Linux, unfortunately without xattr support because of my ext4
partitions). So I'm opened to any suggestions about what tasks can I
perform. I've already viewed the list of 'easy' tasks, but it seems to
be a little bit outdated and consists of 'fonts and apps' tasks, which
is something not I've looking for. So can anyone kindly suggest me a
list of tasks to start from, not too difficult and not too easy at the
same time. Or a place where I can find them. I just don't know whether I
can take _any_ task from bug-tracker.

IMHO the best motivation is to work on something that annoys you, that you need, or that you find interesting.

The bug tracker is full of tickets with interesing/annoying bugs or feature requests. It probably helps to look at the tickets by component. You can pick an area that you think might contain interesting stuff and then just look at the tickets for that component.

Or you simply try to use Haiku and look at it from the perspective of it being your main operating system... what sucks and what would you like to change? If it's something fundamental about the user experience, it's probably best to discuss it here on this list. Or you risk your work not being included if it isn't considered "within the Haiku vision" by many. (The Haiku vision isn't often very clear or defined, mostly it can only be derived by discussion here.)

Best regards,
-Stephan