[haiku-development] Re: Haiku alpha 1 release (draft)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:36:23 +0100

Simon Taylor wrote (2008-02-04, 09:59:53 [+0100]):
[...]
> So again I think we need to better define who the alpha is for and what
> we expect them to do with it.

We should do it for ourselves. If we are excited by it, then there will be
more people with the same feeling. I was under the impression that the
self-hosting thing is already the common opinion among the developers. (I
might be wrong.) We should try to appeal to developers who can appreciate
what Haiku is trying to become eventually. Everyone who is believing in
this strongly enough is probably already contributing. We need to convince
the rest and reassure ourselves, that we can actually pull it off. And for
that we need to reach a milestone like self-hosting. Let's not even try to
grow the community in huge leaps. If all the alpha gains is reassurance for
ourselves and a few more developers, then it will already be a success.
Haiku is really lacking in end-user features compared to for example
Ubuntu. It cannot even burn CDs from within Tracker yet. So I don't think
we should even try to impress from an enduser perspective.

Best regards,
-Stephan