[haiku-development] Re: Haiku alpha 1 release (draft)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 21:03:45 +0100

Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) wrote (2008-02-03, 18:54:02 [+0100]):
> Niels Reedijk wrote:
[...]
> > I would like to share with you a list I made of all the steps I think
> > need to be made from now to a release of alpha 1. Before I do this, I
> > would like an informed opinion from you of where we stand. I know we
> > have a 'it is done when it is done' mentality, but without actually
> > defining 'done', we could wait a long time.
> >
> > Personally, I've been able to use Haiku with mixed success.
> > Nevertheless, I think it is complete and stable enough to create a
> > developer preview (AKA as alpha 1). It might give us some momentum.
> >
> > At the end of the message, I attached my list of tasks. It is in Trac
> > wiki formatting (because I figured it would end up there), to
> > illustrate what I'm getting at.
> >
> > So the question is, is it time to start planning?

[...]

> It has been agreed with the admins that Haiku's marketing/PR/advocacy
> will be lead and coordinated by someone from the Haiku Inc. structure
> (currently being transitioned) in direct coordination with the
> development team. See this for details:
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org/news/2007-10-18/reinventing_haiku
>
> Therefore, I would ask that you please refrain from making plans in an
> area that is not of your competence.

Jorge, Niels is actually a part of the developer team. I think it is
already mentioned in the article you refer, that members of the development
team are simply those with commit access to the source code. Since you
specifically mention "direct coordination with the development team", why
not pick up on his initiative and coordinate with Niels?

That being said, I think we should do good to welcome anyone's initiative
for that matter. Initiative is exactly what we need, not discouragement.

Best regards,
-Stephan