[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha2.1?

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:29:43 +0100

>>> Please add any known bloopers that I missed to this list:
>>> * sftp does not work
>>> * the menus on some apps (Vision, Chart) are broken
>>> * some CDs don't work because of the IOCache
>> * WebPositive erroneously shows an error when committing trac
>> tickets.
>
> Does it still do so, BTW?

Most can be worked around, once the alpha is installed (I believe
there's a new optional package of WebPositive for alpha 2 which fixes
the trac bug?)

I think it's still probably worth updating the image so that these bugs
are fixed - especially the error on installing WebPositive, which seems
to affect a lot of users and is doubly disappointing as WebPositive is
probably the biggest and most readily appreciated improvement from alpha 1.

I'd suggest pushing out new images fairly quietly (news article but no
press releases and the like) and also make a small zip file available
with just the changed files from alpha 2, so existing users can just
install it as an update. No need to suggest everyone who has a working
alpha 2 install should download an entirely new image, but equally if we
reckon these bugs are now fixed it's not much effort to produce new
images and will probably stop a few thousand potential new users
experiencing these annoying issues.

If alpha 3 really is imminent (< 2 months or so) then just advising
people experiencing these bugs to wait for the next alpha wouldn't be
too bad. Definitely worth starting to agree on what changes should make
it into Alpha 3 IMHO.

Simon