[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 17:34:56 +0200

philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Ah, my mistake. Well, included in the current development package is
> > the following: gcc 2.95.3, autoconf-2.61, automake-1.10.1, bison-2.3,
> > flex-2.5.35, jam, libtool-1.5.26, texinfo-4.11 and Perl 5.10.
>
> On topic of out-of-box development environmment available for R1/alpha,
> we miss support for /etc/makefile-engine based projects. This release
> users would hit this dependency while playing the many BeOS sample codes
> or whatever open source apps available using make-engine build system
> than our Jam based build system..

Valid point, and I have actually prepared an optional package for that, but
some questions remained:

* What is the license of the makefile-engine? The file itself doesn't say.
I also couldn't find a license information on the Be Developer Tools
package which would suggest something for the included makefile-engine.

* Years back, Ingo made a small but substantial improvement to the engine
with regards to object dependencies. It was pretty useless before when it
didn't recompile objects when headers changed and such. Ingo used a tool
"mkdepend" for that, but neither of us remembers where it came from or if
Ingo even wrote it himself perhaps. Going to check...

Any opinions? Should we ask ACCESS?

Best regards,
-Stephan