[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 timelines?

  • From: Przemysław Pintal <premislaus1988@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:37:25 +0200

> What do you think, how can we motivate existing developers to spend there
> little spare time more often on Haiku?

Money. If you earn money on something, that is not just a hobby but a necessity.

Sending out a survey to all developers with commit access and people
doing ports and applications. With questions how they make their
money, and for what platform they write software (job). What kind of
applications, frameworks it requires. And what they lack to complete
the migration. Should also ask about what are the technical
disadvantages of the project. Then we can change the priorities for
Haiku.

We must make that Haiku developers, used Haiku not Linux! Then they
will begin to see gaps and will improve.

We need to change the thinking. Haiku is too big for a hobby, it must
be a product. Because now some subsystems are not developed over the
years, and Haiku does not keep up for new paradigms.

BTW I'm afraid that if the last release before the R1 will focus on
the fixes, the project can not survive. People prefer to implement new
functionality, do not want to correct errors, especially other
people's.