[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 timelines?

  • From: Przemysław Pintal <premislaus1988@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 01:20:03 +0200

Our current situation is very bad. I define it as stagnation. In some
sense, I am responsible for marketing and support for users. I talk to
people, I urge them and I know their feelings. Dozens of people have
commit acces, only a few are constantly active. Haiku is too large
project to be just a hobby. The most valuable things have been done
during the contracts and GSoC. About Haiku you can read a few times in
a year. Always appear the same comments: BeOS was great, a dozen years
and still alpha, did not see the point, fun, etc.. About any Linux
project you can read on a daily basis, it makes the brand exists in
the minds of people. More any buzz = more users, more haters, more
developers, more funds, etc. In short, it means awareness, frequent
messages is also the impression of dynamic development.

haiku-os.pl has registered 1,000 users in the last six months, active
users was just over 10, we have an average of 25 unique visitors per
day. Fortunately, I was able to befriend with OSWorld.pl (open source
news and articles) - 30,000 unique daily.

My point is that Haiku was cool for someone like he was 21 years old,
has ceased to be when someone has for example 30 years. We have lost
many people, we are not able to reverse the trend. Maybe we did
something wrong (haiku-os.pl). But it does not change the fact that
people are changing priorities over the years. You are done studies,
you have baby... I tried to persuade various young programmers, but
they do not want to enter into something niche. It's hard to talk with
them. We had a lot of great people and great soft for example, someone
recently released the source code of its program for invoicing for
Poland (in 2006 was a contest with a cash prize on the haiku-os.pl).
The guy kept it over the years, probably because he thought that would
be profitable.

http://haiku-os.pl/node/1639
http://translate.google.pl/translate?hl=pl&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhaiku-os.pl%2Fnode%2F1639
https://github.com/ytmytm/beos-fakBEtur

I could write about this for a long time, about my experiences, about
what plans and problems we had. I'm depressed.